Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Grandmommy

This morning my great grandmother Louise Fletcher (far right) died. This photo was from her 95th birthday party, showing five generations including my mom, daughter, and grandson with me. Because she was nearly 100 years old and lived nearly all those years with vigor, it's hard to comprehend that she is gone. The sadness with her passing is mixed with an overwhelming appreciation of her life, including her influence (and my grandfather's) on all of her grandkids including me.


Years ago they built a crazy round house with a great view of the lake that you can see in the background of this photo. A lake they owned and operated named Longville Lake, a few miles north of the city of Lake Charles in Louisiana. This was the place where all of us grandkids would visit during holidays, doing goofy kid stuff but at the same time learning a lot about both family and the great outdoors. When not cooking or otherwise tending to us, my grandmother would be out in the world's largest yard mowing or gardening, often in stifling heat and humidity. Now as I'm thinking of her influence on me and I consider my often obsessive and/or grueling adventures in Wimberley, it all starts to fit together... Thanks Grandmommy, I love you.


2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger yogini said...

What a sweet tribute. Now that I'm a grandma, I know how precious you were to her, too.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This is an amazing heart warmer Daddy <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home