Friday, October 28, 2005

Rings of Life

This cedar tree section from a tree I cut in Wimberley is only about 10 inches across, yet is 130 years old. When I first cut such trees I thought nothing of it, satisfied that I was ridding the area of an invasive species. Then one day I started counting the rings. Realized that many of my victims were pre-civil war. So many presidents, wars, natural disasters, and a few billion births occurred during their lives. I think a little longer now before cutting them, keeping some of the bigger and better ones. I like the idea that a few will still be around in another 130 years, and wonder what wonderful and terrible times they'll witness.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger yogini said...

What a gorgeous photograph! I would like to see more of your photography, to appreciate your artistic sensibilities better and more fully enter the world you see.

Keep blogging. It's great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home