Saturday, January 16, 2016

Let There be (outdoor) Light!

After years of experimenting with wimpy solar landscape lighting, I finally decided to get serious and do it right.  Don't get me wrong; solar can provide nice all-night lighting if you use a large collector panel on a roof and run wiring from there to a big battery to feed the lights.  But those stand-alone lights with the tiny solar collector on top just can't hack it in shady areas, during cloudy periods, or for about four months of winter.   
I started with the path from the guest house to the main house shown in the first photo.  I used Kichler path lights fitted with amazing 1 watt LED bulbs.  

For up-lights, I tried to position them for minimal light pollution and to create a sense of enclosure in the backyard. 

Since my power unit is a hefty 300 watt device made by VOLT,  I obviously could spend many years adding all the fixtures I want and then some; perhaps a few path lights along the front yard entry walk will be next.    


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home