Sunday, April 29, 2007

Wild about Wildflowers

Springtime in the Texas hill country is well known for showy roadside displays of Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush. Further from public view there is another, more subtle display that mother nature makes this time of year. This one takes place without the assistance of Ladybird Johnson-inspired seed sowing program, but the results can be just as satisfying if one takes the time to really slow down and look.









Luckily, my sweetheart is just the person to take that closer look, and she even helps me slow down on occasion! Although she claims to be one of the world's worst photographers, you can see differently from these pics she shot recently. From jumbles of rocks, fallen limbs, trees, which appear unsightly from a distance, she takes the time to notice the beauty of the details. A little bit like the way she can always find a bit of good in mother nature's other creations, notably the Hominidae variety.









Photo #1: False Day Flower
Photo #2: Cedar Sage
Photo #3: Scarlet Leatherflower
Photo #4: Prickly Pear Cactus









There are more bloom photos I'll save for future postings, some because I've not identified them yet. Among the ones I do know are Antelope Horns, Texas Mountain Laurel, and even a few Bluebonnets, ancestors from seeds my Mom gave to me 3 or 4 years ago. I also like the idea of saving some photos for future years because wildflowers in bloom are an annual event, strong markers of the passage of time, and a gentle reminder from mother nature that we'd better slow down and enjoy them while we can.















sdffg

1 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Pat Wente said...

I like all the photos except the cactus. That one made me avert my eyes.

Having spent much of my childhood in far south Texas (11 mi from the Mexican border), I have no romantic feelings about those evil plants, even when they're blooming. Try falling into a pile of them when you're looking for a new hide-n-seek place. About as much fun as lying on a fire ant hill (which I've also done, inadvertently). My Missouri-born Grandpa Skaggs liked to say, "Everything in Texas either sticks, stinks, or stings."

But those other flowers are nice, honest. The cactus brought out my rant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home