Sunday, March 23, 2008

My, What Nice Form You Have

The nice formwork for the garage foundation, of course. Here my bride is posed in fine form herself with the first of those forms, which she helped me get started this weekend. Probably smiling because she got through it without me dropping anything heavy on her. She did have somewhat of an encounter with the wet, gooey silt in the bottom of the trench, but since I cleaned the evidence (her boots) before taking this photo we'll just pretend nothing happened there...

It's cool for me to have family and friends involved in the building process. Partly because I do this kind of stuff for a living, albeit on a larger and less hands-on level. It's fun to watch them discover the hardship and rewards of work that is often left to undocumented workers. It's also humbling for me to discover the many tough hours involved in doing work that I designed with a few short, computerized pen strokes.

My son Alex will be visiting in a couple of weeks, and then we'll complete the formwork and get a concrete truck to rumble on out and fill it up. It's getting way too close to the hot weather time to keep working outside for long, so I need to wrap this little job up. Then it's back inside to conditioned space for a summer's worth of finish work before venturing out again in the Fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home