Sunday, June 01, 2008

Symphony, Hill Country Style

Wimberley gets a little more fascinating to me every year. The word "culture" in small-town Texas often consists of a Dairy Queen and the video rental store. Wimberley has it's own outdoor movie theatre, a play-house, and even this amphitheatre-in-the-woods where you'll find a home grown symphony orchestra playing four times every Spring.

The orchestra members include a few retirees who always wanted to play professionally but never quite got around to it, and lots of former former high school and college orchestra members trying to keep their skills fresh. On the occasion of our visit, they even had two local college singers for some of the selections. REAL singers, operatic types. What an surreal experience that was, listening to beautiful music deep in the woods in small-town Texas. And did I mention it was donations only, pay whatever you want? Except if you wanted water, that is, sold by the bottle out of an ice chest by a local Boy Scout raising money for his Eagle Scout project.




In the past there were times when Wimberley seemed a bit corny to me. No more. And I don't think it's the town that is changing, just me. Growing old and even cornier myself I guess, and adjusting to the Wimberley way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home