Sunday, November 02, 2008

Rock and Roll

We've been moving rocks around our Wimberley property for several years now. Moving them to property lines, lining paths and terraces with them. This work has transformed much of the acreage from "impossible to walk on without stumbling". While it's not exactly a putting green now, it is better. The last of the rocks to be moved were some of the heaviest, so I picked a time when I had plenty of victims... er, I mean visitors, to help.

I'm not sure the ancient Egyptians would have been too impressed with our heavy rock transporting scheme, but it worked. I can't really call our technique "rolling" because that implies continuous movement. Maybe "flipping many times" is more accurate. We moved them to a flat area and created a sitting area, under the idyllic notion that some of us elders could site on these big 'ol rocks and watch the grandkids run around someday. Or maybe watch the grandkids climb all over the rocks. Anyway, it was hard work and we are not done yet. But we're definitely done for a few months or so, until we re-stock our depleted supply of BenGay ointment.

See that long line of rocks in the background of this last photo? That's the growing collection of rocks on one of the property lines. Most of them were put there by my hired hands Vicente, Joe, and their brothers. Some by me. And now a few by my children Vanessa and Alex who were great sports about helping out. Thanks kids!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home