Sunday, September 21, 2008

Let There be Light, v3

The first few generations of low voltage solar landscape lights were junk. Truly worthless, so weak an yellowish that no lights at all were usually a better solution. But, the last few years have brought some real progress, with better solar cells, batteries, and especially the new LED replacements for the old bulbs, which burn much whiter and longer. My friend Mark gave me some of these new ones recently, and they've been proudly lighting up the walkways at the Wimberley house for several months now. This picture does them little justice, but you can see that the light is a very pure white.

Solar lighting has even crept into the street number illumination field. Now, I have to admit that when my Dad first gave me this my first thought about this particular innovation was "gee, I never realized I needed that". But, after installing it I was amazed to see how well it worked. Pretty geeky, huh?










0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home