Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ugly Old Thistle

I've always despised the thistle plant. Yanked countless thistles out of the ground over the years, thinking them both ugly and painful. But it turns out the only time they are usually painful is when you pull on them. And left alone, they eventually achieve a unique beauty, at least to the attentive eye.


We've seen so many other creatures who are more than fond of the thistle; they rely on it for their survival. Hummingbirds, honeybees, several types of birds, and countless varieties of butterflies think it's one of the most beautiful plants on earth.



This year I've scaled back my assault on the thistle, limiting my pulling to paths and other areas where it would be a real problem. So I'm hoping that my efforts, or rather lack of effort, will result in a bumper crop next year.


I'm sure this approach won't gain wild popularity in the manicured suburbia most Americans live in. Which is another reason I like it so much.



1 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger yogini said...

Like many of us, who have our own beauty and gifts to offer, when you look past the thorny parts and allow us to grow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home