Thursday, August 27, 2009

Starry Starry Night

I recently acquired this telescope from my somewhat over-telescoped friend Mark, figuring Wimberley would be the perfect place to put it to good use. By pure coincidence, Alex has just started taking a college astronomy class and was able to get it set up and pointed toward Jupiter and four of it's moons. The four moons that Galileo could see, but I'm sure we have much greater clarity.

I grew up in the country and always saw tons of stars. But the starry night I remember most is one after living in the city for years and then taking a trip to the country. Going outside late at night and being struck dumb by the countless expanse and pure beauty of something that's out there all the time. There but unseen because I had forgotten how to look. So Wimberley to me represents a great chance to look again. Look closer. And doing that with my family is just about as good as it gets.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home