Wednesday, November 30, 2005

World's most expensive tree

Look carefully. Hard to believe it, but that scrawny live oak in the foreground is the world's most expensive tree. Not a claim to fame I'm exactly proud of. Tree planting efforts are always difficult on Wimberley mountain tops because of the solid rock inches under the surface, and brutal dry summers. For me it is even tougher since I'm a commuter from Houston, and sometimes can't get there to water any new trees for a month or so. After a few failed efforts to get trees started, I was desperate. Stubbornly determined to have my way, I soon resorted to the old trick of throwing as much money as possible at the problem.

Here is the method I used in this madness: 1) With no water source at the property, I needed to provide a way to water the tree in my absence. The water tank in the foreground of the photo at right took care of that.
2) Since I have no electricity at the site, getting the water from the tank to the tree was another challenge. A solar panel pictured atop the martin house bought my way out of that problem.
3) To tell the water tank when to release the water, a special DC timer lurks inside the electrical box below the solar panel.
4) When directed by the timer, a custom DC solenoid in the tank opens, sending water through a hose to the tree.

Are you convinced of my obsession, if not insanity? All this technology, and I still have to haul water to the tank on each visit there to keep it filled. If this tree dies after all this, it will surely send me right over the brink...

2 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Blogger Victoria said...

thank's for review. i like this post. I have actually read a lot of your blog posts in the last hour. I really enjoy what you are doing here. (And as a writer of fantasy novels, I'm enjoying looking at different aspects of that when you go through them in blog post). And truly, I love world-culture building.
chainsawreviewz

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Chainsaw Yogi said...

Thanks Nathanael, I'm glad you are enjoying the chainsawyogi blog. I agree about world culture building- seems we need it more and more every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home