Thursday, May 17, 2007

Twisted

I'm often amazed at the many signs of wildlife I come across on 5 little acres in Wimberley. Or in many cases, wild death is what I find. My friend Mark spotted this new evidence of life's fragility during a short walk down to the creek last week. This headless snake skeleton is all twisted, as if the snake died in some agony. It looks like it was very recently picked clean, probably by vultures. See that little fluffy group of blue-grey fur or feathers in the lower right-hand part of the frame? I'm guessing that is Vulture down, left there after a fight between two of them over the carcass. As for what happened to the head of the snake, I see two possibilities: 1- Whatever killed the snake ate the head. 2- One of the vultures took the prize back to their sweet little buzzard babies. Yummy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home