Thursday, July 03, 2008

Tell-tale Tuft


Can you identify the objects in this photo? I mean the ones in focus.

That vertical wire hangs one of many bird feeders at our Wimberley property. Seven years ago when I first started feeding the birds, there was not a lot of interest. Even from the birds. Over the years, and after many hundreds of pounds of birdseed, those feeders have become quite the popular place to hang out. A little TOO popular recently. I'm now suffering from STD (no, not that one) squirrel trespassing disorder.

Those clever little buggers have been getting ever larger portions of the birdseed for themselves, and are increasing their numbers at the peril of my wallet. Despite my efforts creating ways to keep them away. So, I have to admit I snickered when I say this tuft of squirrel fur on the feeder hanging wire, and imagined the indignity sufferred by one Mr. Squirrel for his thieving ways. They wrap their tails around the wire so they can hang over the feeders to eat, but this time his tail got caught in the twisted wire. I can just picture him flopping around trying to escape the wire's clutch, while a dozen birds sat by watching, cheering for the wire. One small victory in a war that I'm afraid has only just begun to heat up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home